By: Melissa Bourbon
Publication Date: Feb 7, 2012
One special holiday recipe Meemaw created is Sausage Bread. Now, plenty of people probably make something real similar, but this is the Cassidy version, and it's mighty tasty as a snack with mustard, alongside a pot of your favorite winter soup, or with scrambled eggs. No matter how you slice it, it's a delicious treat.
Makes 2 loaves!
* 2 loaves frozen French bread dough, risen (or make your own bread dough!)
* 2 packages pork sausage, cooked and crumbled (we love Jimmy Dean; you can also use vegetarian sausage)
1. Roll out bread dough to form a large rectangle.
2. Spread slightly cooled, cooked, and crumbled sausage on the rolled out dough.
3. Working from the long end of the rectangle, roll up dough as you would a jelly roll.
4. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
5. Brush with egg white, if desired, and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until bread is golden brown.
Wishing y'all a very Merry Christmas! See ya in 2012.