Hello – It’s me again. Caro Lamont. You may remember me from previous adventures we’re shared in Desperate Housedogs and Kitty Kitty Bang Bang. My cousin, Mel, is your feisty protagonist and amateur sleuth in the other two books in the series, Get Fluffy, and Yip/Tuck.
My latest adventure, Fifty Shades of Greyhound, finds me involved in a pet rescue fundraiser. I guess that’s not really big news. The truth is I find myself involved a lot of pet-related events, whether it’s the annual “cough up some cash” Fur Ball, or Orange County’s Yappy Hour. Or Laguna Beach’s Annual Pet Parade and Chili Cook-Off. This latest affair, as you may have guessed from the title, was a greyhound rescue event, The Fifty Shades of Greyhound Gala.
- Perhaps one of the oldest dog breeds, greyhounds are loving and affectionate, and generally patient with children.
- Intelligent and calm, they thrive on the attention of people.
- Though they are very fast and can reach speeds of over 40 mph, they require no more exercise than your average pet dog.
- Most have been raised in a kennel and are used to other dogs so they adjust well to other pets in your household.
My enthusiasm is all because of Blanche LeRue, the organizer of the gala and our local greyhound expert. She’d roped me into service as the on-site pet therapist and convinced a ton of influential people to attend the fete. (Things went a bit awry from there, but I won’t spoil the story by telling you the details here.)
The bottom line is that Blanche cared so much about greyhounds that she convinced me and others to care too. Caring is like that – it’s catching!So, here’s my plea to you, if you could do just one thing for greyhounds it would make a difference. Here are some ideas – JOT one down – you only need to do just one thing.
- Spread the word about the need for greyhound rescue.
- Let others know what great pets greyhounds make.
- If you’re able, help financially support a local rescue. There are many wonderful groups out there who could use your help. Even a little helps a lot.
- Attend a greyhound event and learn more about these wonderful dogs. Just a tiny bit of your time and I bet you’ll be surprised at what you learn.
We’ll be drawing a winner from all of those who comment before midnight, so here’s your chance to give a shout-out about a cause that matters to you, and also have a chance to win a book and some fun swag.
Remember: At Killer Characters there will be a giveaway every single day for the rest of the month, so stop by each day to enter.