Deputy Donut Mysteries by Ginger Bolton
The 911 dispatcher told us that an elderly woman had fallen off her chair and had "knocked down some candles." They were also sending Emergency Medical Services.
Sirens blaring and strobes flashing, my crew and I jumped into our bright red trucks. I drove one, fast.
The house was small, one-story. No smoke or flames were visible, and I couldn't hear any smoke alarms. The front door was standing open, which is fine if you're waiting for an ambulance, but not a good idea when there's a fire.
A thirty-ish man was standing in the doorway. "Quick," he said. "My grandmother fell."
I asked, "Is there a fire?"
"No, but I don't think she can get up."
We followed him into a living room, tidy except for a knocked-over Christmas tree, a white-haired woman lying next to a kitchen chair that was also on its side, and three red fat pillar candles that must have tumbled away from the forth one, still on the mantel. All four candles were lit, their
little electrical lights flickering like flames. I radioed that it was safe for the EMTs to enter and then asked the woman what had happened.
"I needed to reach the top of the tree and I didn't want to go all the way to the basement for a ladder, so I put one of my kitchen chairs
on my armchair and climbed up onto the armchair, and then onto the
kitchen chair, but it started tipping, so I grabbed the tree to catch
my balance, and everything sort of toppled over." She waved at the EMTs running into the room. "Just help me sit up. I'm fine."
And, to everyone's amazement except hers, she was.
At this season of the year, we get calls for fires, but even more for falls. I know there's lots that you have do do to make certain that everything's ready, but please take time to do it all safely. Thank you, and happy holidays to everyone!
GIVEAWAY! In the comments below, tell us about any of your Christmas near-misses. A random draw will choose the winner of a copy of SURVIVAL OF THE FRITTERS.
Connect with Ginger Bolton: