Hello readers! Cora Chevalier here. I'm a character in a new series—Cora Crafts Mysteries. I figured it's about time to introduce myself. I came up with five things about me you might like to know—but I'll be blogging here from now on, so we'll have plenty of time to get to know one another.
1. I grew up in Pittsburgh, became a social worker there, where I counseled women in a shelter. My work became my life—until I developed a severe anxiety issue and I realized I need to make a change.
2. One of the things that helped some of the women I worked with was crafting. Whether it was scrapbooking, knitting, pottery, or whatever. Somewhere along the line, I realized it helped me, too. But not enough. I started writing about my crafting on a blog called Cora Crafts a Life.
3. Strangely enough, my blog took off and soon I was making more money as a blogger than as a counselor. My dreams began to shift to finding a a place for a craft retreat, where my online community could gather and maybe even expand.
4. My best friend Jane and I began to plot how to make this dream a reality. soon enough, we were searching for houses to fit our needs. You can read about that adventure here.
5. Now that we are settled in Indigo Gap, North Carolina, we are so busy planning for our first craft retreat that we've barely had time to enjoy our new home—Kildare House, a sprawling Victorian mansion. I live in the attic apartment with my cat Luna. Jane lives in the carriage house with her daughter London. Ruby O'Malley lives in the gardener's cottage on the property—she was grandfathered in with the sale. It's turned out very well—she's a gifted herbalist and fits right in with our craft retreat plans.
We've planned for every possibility of what might happen at our first retreat. I'm confident that we're covered and absolutely NOTHING will go wrong. (And if I keep telling myself that maybe it will be true!)
Please comment for a chance to win one of three advanced copies of DEATH AMONG THE DOILIES (A CORA CRAFTS MYSTERY) out on August 29!
Do you like to craft? What's your favorite?