Friday, January 27, 2017
Five Things You Should Know About Me -- Pepper Reece -- #bookgiveaway
Leave a comment below for a chance to win a signed copy of KILLING THYME, the newest book in the series!
1. I did not bribe my elderly neighbor or his children to give me the red apothecary that now occupies the back corner of the Seattle Spice Shop, no matter what my ex husband, Tag, says.
2. My childhood home was not a commune. It was simply a cooperative household founded by two hippie couples eager to stamp out poverty and injustice, provide temporary housing for others working on social justice programs, and raise their children together. And raise a few chickens, although when the neighbors complained, we ate them. Okay, maybe it was a commune. But a small one.
3. I got my nickname from my grandfather when I was only three. On a summer visit, he named me for his favorite baseball player and manager, Pepper Martin of the St. Louis Cardinals. But while I admit to a certain feistiness, and a love of baseball, I have never pulled home plate off the field and thrown it at an umpire.
4. My favorite food is fresh, creamy brie and sun-dried tomatoes on warm, toasted bread served with a slightly tannic Pinot Noir. Today, anyway. I’ll probably pick something completely different tomorrow.
5. When I was a kid tagging after my mother on her weekly visits to the Market, or in the fifteen years I spent working HR for a major Seattle law firm, I would never have imagined that running a spice shop in the Market was the perfect job for me. But it is. Come by for a visit, and with one taste, I’ll make you a believer, too.
What new-to-you spice or blend are you eager to try? Leave a comment below, with your email address, for a chance to win a signed copy of KILLING THYME, the newest in the series. The winner will be chosen at noon, Sunday, January 29. (US and Canadian addresses only, please.)
At Seattle Spice in the Pike Place Market, owner Pepper Reece is savoring her business success, but soon finds her plans disrupted by a killer…
Pepper Reece’s to-do list is longer than the shopping list for a five-course dinner, as she conjures up spice blends bursting with seasonal flavor, soothes nervous brides fretting over the gift registry, and crosses her fingers for a rave review from a sharp-tongued food critic. Add to the mix a welcome visit from her mother, Lena, and she’s got the perfect recipe for a busy summer garnished with a dash of fun.
While browsing in the artists’ stalls, Pepper and Lena drool over stunning pottery made by a Market newcomer. But when Lena recognizes the potter, Bonnie Clay, as an old friend who disappeared years ago, the afternoon turns sour. To Pepper’s surprise, Bonnie seems intimately connected to her family’s past. After Bonnie is murdered only days later, Pepper is determined to uncover the truth.
But as Pepper roots out long-buried secrets, will she be digging her own grave?
Leslie Budewitz is the author of the Food Lovers’ Village Mysteries and the Spice Shop Mysteries—and the first author to win Agatha Awards for both fiction and nonfiction. The president of Sisters in Crime, she lives in northwest Montana with her husband, a musician and doctor of natural medicine, and their cat Ruff, a cover model and avid bird-watcher.
Swing by my website and join the mailing list for my seasonal newsletter. And join me on Facebook where I announce lots of giveaways from my cozy writer friends.