Hey, ya’ll, Mel here. It’s summertime and in my neck of the woods that mean tourists, sun, and SoCal beaches! If you’re a water lover like me, grab the sunscreen and your favorite beach accessories (or maybe a visor, chair, and current reading material) and let’s meet up on the glittery sand. If you’re new to the area and not sure which beach to visit first, here are my top five. . . .in no particular order.
- Looking to pack a ton of activities in one day? Newport has it all—A long sandy beach for strolling or sunbathing, surfing, whale and dolphin watching, sunset cruises, shopping, and excellent restaurants. You can’t go wrong at Newport Beach.
- For families, Crystal Cove State Park is a winner. A Laguna favorite during low tide because of the long, wide beach area and exposed tide pools. A great place to explore and learn about marine life.
- This way to muscle beach. . . .that’s Huntington Beach aka Surf City, USA. If you’re into water sports, Huntington is primed for surfing, booging boarding, and body surfing.
- If the eclectic scene and boardwalks are your thing, you’ll love Venice Beach. Walk along the 1.5-mile oceanfront for the best people watching—street performers, skateboarders, and artists, it’s never dull!
- If you're looking for a beach for you and your pup, Mission Bay’s Fiesta Island is where it’s at! Within fifteen minutes of downtown San Diego, your fur baby can run leash-free on the sand and splash in the shallow bay. This is also a popular hangout for fun walks, runs, and cycling events.
Sparkle Abbey is actually two people, Mary Lee Ashford and Anita Carter, who write the national best-selling Pampered Pets cozy mystery series. They are friends as well as neighbors so they often get together and plot ways to commit murder. (But don't tell the neighbors.) They love to hear from readers and can be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest, their favorite social media sites.
Also, if you want to make sure you get updates, sign up for their newsletter via the SparkleAbbey.com website.